The cool new Homedics Restore Clean Water System is one of the first water filtration pitchers to combine germ-killing UV Clean technology with a water filtration system to filter and purify ordinary tap water. Most water filtration pitchers filter out chlorine, heavy metals and some pollutants, but this innovative pitcher goes one step further and destroys viruses, bacteria and microbial cysts too.
Simply pour tap water into the reservoir on top and it flows down through a filter of activated carbon and ion exchange resin to remove chlorine, heavy metals and some industrial and agricultural pollutants. Once the water has been filtered, it purifies it using UVC light to effectively destroy up to 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.95% of microbial cysts in only 60 seconds. This germicidal light's wavelengths actually deactivate the DNA of microorganisms and destroy their ability to multiply and is commonly used to disinfect and sanitize hospitals, laboratories, food and drug facilities and water treatment plants. In the end, you get clean, safe and better-tasting water at a fraction of the cost of expensive bottled water and it's much more eco-friendly too.
REVIEWDisclosure: This product was sent to us to test, review and keep at no cost to us.
I got a chance to check out the Homedics Restore Clean Water System and it works pretty well. It's very easy to use and the water tastes really clean in the end (and hopefully microbial free!). The only real gripe I have with it and maybe it's just my low patience level, but the first stage carbon filter seemed much slower than other filters on the market (which are already annoyingly slow) and the time is doubled with this one, because you need to fill up the 4 cup water reservoir, wait for it to filter down and then repeat to completely fill up the 8 cup pitcher. On the other hand, the second stage UV light purification process was actually kind of fun and only took 60 seconds to purify the water.
I generally trust the tap water that flows here to the office, but rather than take any chances I was using a Brita Jug to filter the water and keep it cold in the fridge. I never realized that although the water is filtered for nasty-tasting chlorine and some pollutants, it doesn't actually remove any viruses or bacteria at all. Now, I'm not a scientist or anything, but I would rather have the additional UV light protection than not, especially with all these crazy exotic Flus going around, just for peace-of-mind. I'd definitely recommend this.
- Removes bacteria, viruses and microbial cysts
- UVC light quickly purifies in only 60 seconds
- Cheaper / more eco-friendly than bottled water
- BPA Free
- Water trickles down slowly through carbon filter stage
- Lid doesn't secure down when pouring
- Still have to replace filters
Related Offers From Amazon.com
- First to utilize UV technology in an easy to use, affordable water pitcher product
- UV technology purifies and removes 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.99% of viruses and 99.95% of microbial cysts
- Reduces Heavy Metals, Chlorine (taste and odor), some Industrial & Agricultural Pollutants
- California certified for microbiological water purification
- Treats tap water so it's both cost effective and eco friendly
- Includes: 8 cup capacity, BPA free pitcher with built-in UV lamp, one replaceable filter and one adapter